At what age can I enrol my children for kindergarten

Yarra Ranges Kindergartens Inc. accepts enrolments at all its kindergartens from birth.

Children less than four years of age:

If a child has not turned four years of age by 30 April in the year they are to attend a funded kindergarten program, the parents must first have requested approval for early school entry for their child to attend school in the following year.

Requests must be made in writing to the appropriate Departmental regional office in accordance with government school entry processes or directly to the non-government school that the child will be attending.

It is unlikely that the regional office or the non-government school will be able to determine the outcome of the request for early school entry until close to the school commencement date.

Service providers should advise parents that most applications for early school entry are unsuccessful and children granted early entry to kindergarten are not eligible to apply for a another year of funded kindergarten in the following year if the child does not attend school.

A copy of the written request for early school entry must accompany the child's application for kindergarten enrolment. The service must sight this request and include a copy in the child's enrolment record.

Back to top

Do I have to buy a uniform for my child?

Uniform items such as T-Shirts, Windcheaters and hats are available but not compulsory.
A wide brimmed hat that offers sun protection to the face, ears and neck is compulsory from start of September to end of April as part of our Sun Smart/Sun Protection Policy.

Back to top

Can I send chips, muesli bars and fruit juice to kinder?

We ask that highly processed and packaged foods are kept for home. At kinder, children will be taught about 'sometimes' foods. A sandwich, fruit and water are great sources of energy and hydration for your child while they are at kinder and they fit into our Nutrition and Active Play Policy

Back to top

If preschools receive funding, why do I have to pay fees as well?

The Department of Education and Training (DET ) provides per capita funding as a contribution toward the costs of providing a four-year-old kindergarten program. Services meet the balance of costs through charging fees and fundraising activities.

Back to top

Contact Us

31 Blackburn Rd Mooroolbark 3138
Mail: PO Box 416 Mooroolbark 3138
Phone: 03 9726 0439
Follow us on Facebook


Enter your email below to subscribe to our Newsletter

Your subscribe request has been sent!